And if you are planning to renovate or install a home office, make sure you upgrade your electrical system while you’re at it.
If you have these warning signs, experts say your system probably can’t handle the load:
- Lights flicker when an appliance is turned on.
- Circuit breakers trip or fuses blow repeatedly for no reason.
- Appliances are not operating at full power.
- You use many extension cords
- Major appliances, such as the fridge, freezer, room-size air conditioner, dishwasher, washer and dryer, and furnace, are not on their own circuits.
- In the laundry room, make sure laundry room appliances are properly grounded and are plugged into outlets with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). Reduce fire hazards in the laundry room by installing a smoke detector nearby and cleaning the lint basket after EVERY load.
An overloaded electrical circuit is a dangerous thing. Play it safe and have your wiring checked by a qualified professional.