Using candles also can cause injuries fires and even death. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission candles start about 11,600 fires each year, resulting in 150 deaths, 1,200 injuries and $173 million in property loss.
So here are some safety tips for you so as to avoid the risk of fire or electrical injury.
- Always inspect your light strings and discard any that are damaged. Be sure to replace any missing or broken bulbs.
- Most manufactures recommend you only connect 3 light strings together.
- Indoor VS Outdoor lights – Outdoor lights run hotter than indoor lights and are weather resistant. Outdoor lights should never be used indoors. Indoor lights should not be used outdoors as they may not withstand the weather. There are lights you can purchase that can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Never run extension cords through water including outdoors.
- Do not overload extension cords. Check the wattage rating of your extension cord, as well as the power requirements of any lights or decorations you are plugging into it.
- When hanging lights outdoors - fasten them securely to trees, house walls, or other firm supports or run strings of lights through hooks. Use insulated staples and never use nails or tacks.
- Stay away from power or feeder lines leading from utility poles to your home.
- For outdoor lighting – be sure you are using a GFI outlet. This type of outlet will shut down the circuit in the case of overload.
- Inflatable blow up decorations – make sure they are secured according to instructions. Shut the blower down when it is windy, overnight or you are not home for long periods of time.
- Candles – be sure not to place them near curtains, bedding, paper, walls or in any other areas where there is a potential for them to cause a fire. Do not leave them burning when you are not at home or have left the room they are burning in.